Writing & Teaching for the Sewing Community
I love to write, I love to sew and I love to help build the sewing community and industry. Writing and teaching others to improve and enjoy their own Sewful Life is an incredible privilege!
My many years of sewing and teaching experience and my background as the Marketing, Web Site and Social Media Manager for a local chain of four large fabric stores all combine to create success in my current freelance work-at-home life.
My current and past clients include:
- Coats and Clark Sewing – selected posts now available on Yarnspirations
- Also shared on: Canadian Quilters’ Association & QUILTsocial
- Indygo Junction Sewing Pattern Facebook Group, Blog and Instagram
- Craft Industry Alliance
- Sewing & Stitchery Expo
- Curvy Sewing Collective
- The Quilting Company
My teaching expertise includes:
- The World of Fabrics & Fibers – 60 min
- Lecture/Demo: Making successful choices, what fibers are available in various fabrics, fabric care and what’s new
- Sewing With Knits – 60 min
- Lecture/Demo: Percentage of stretch, pattern choice, using a serger or a sewing machine, techniques for success, types of knit fabrics and their uses
- Making a Basic T-Shirt – 60 min
- Lecture/Demo: Pattern and fabric choice, cutting, sewing and layout, successful neck finishes
- The 20 Minute T-Shirt – 2 hr
- Hands-On or Lecture/Demo: Quick techniques for a hurry-up tee
- Successfully Sewing Swimwear – 60 min
- Lecture/Demo: Fabrics, care, techniques, elastic, lining
- Double Gauze Fashions – 60 min
- Lecture/Demo: Choosing clothing patterns, fabric features and care, sewing and pressing techniques
- Short-Cuts to Fashion – 60 min
- Lecture/Demo: Quick techniques and shortcut tips for today’s sewist who has limited time to sew
- Social Media for Sewists & Quilters – 90 min
- Lecture/Demo: How has the sewing world been changed by Social Media and how can you get involved and join the community.
- Stencil, Glitter, Foil, Stitch & Bead – 2 hr
- Hands-On: Surface Art techniques for everyone using Bo-Nash fabric adhesives, glitters and heat-transfer foils along with simple embroidery stitches and beading.
- Modern Kantha Stitching – 2 hr
- Hands-On: Using traditional techniques and upcycled fabrics for modern hand-stitched results. Includes the history and use of Kantha in India today.
- Designing & Styling Contemporary Kimonos – 60 min
- Lecture/Demo: The history of Kimonos and how we can interpret those looks in a respectful way for contemporary style for anyone and any shape.
- Make a Cork Project Tote – 2.5 hr
- Hands-On: Learn to sew with cork fabric while constructing a lined project tote.
- Common Sense Fitting – 90 min
- Lecture/Demo: Not technical fitting, but an easy, practical way to think about fitting before you begin a garment.
How Can I Help You?
- You are welcome to share any of my blog posts. Just be sure to link back to my blog and please use no more than two images. If you have another idea outside of these parameters, let me know!
- If you’d like to talk about how I can help with your product promotion, blog, web content, social media or publications, I’d love to hear from you!
- To discuss scheduling one of my classes, please send me an email to learn more about pricing and accommodation and travel fees. Let’s get it on the calendar!
Click here to contact Annette with questions.